Aussie Traveller awning

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 19:16
ThreadID: 124213 Views:5001 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I read a thread a while back sugesting cutting and removing the wire cables on the AT awning to make folding away easier.

Seems a bit scarry on a new awning!

Can others verify this is worth doing ???

Cheers,

Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bocky - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 20:18

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 20:18
We have the AT awning on our 20ft BT and have no trouble setting it up or packing it up complete with wires, poles or what ever! If you are having trouble have a few more Beers.
Regards,
Brian & Linda

"Such is Life"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 573434

Reply By: Turist - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 21:19

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2007 at 21:19
The cables that run diagonally across the awning give it the required strength.
They act as diagonal braces when the awning is extended.

If the cables are flopping around and getting in the way when folding the frame back into the box then the bungee cords have become stretched and require shortening. (Or replacement if very old)

It would be a big mistake to remove those cables. (IMHO)

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573435

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 01:08

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2007 at 01:08
ditto Turist

Take the time to develop a method....she holds the horizontal bit while he manipulated the fiddly bits.......easy peasy.

I had mine in a storm that destroyed much around us. The only damage was the roller pulled out of the box a bit and a few hold down tags broke the stitching on the walls.....most impressive.

The best annex ever made.

The biggest problem I've found is to get her to concentrate on the job and stop yabbering to the neighbours..........yo

Ern

I think I am confused
errrrrr wait a bit
No I am not....I think
FollowupID: 848878

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Saturday, Dec 01, 2007 at 09:26

Saturday, Dec 01, 2007 at 09:26
We also had diabolical problems putting the thing away until we shortened the elastic straps. Much easier now. Our new problem is with the clamps for the support poles and the awning ribs - their captive bolts and wing nuts are woefully inadequate and when we tightened them the bolt heads would eventually spin in the clamps. The clamp material is either too soft or the bolt heads are not big enough to grip. The result is that the telescopic legs can collapse and put the whole awning at risk. We've replaced the collar clamps but the replacements are almost identical to the originals so may have a limited life.

Michael
AnswerID: 573436

Reply By: Kilcoy Yowies - Saturday, Dec 01, 2007 at 19:08

Saturday, Dec 01, 2007 at 19:08
Hi all,

Since new, our Coolibah awning has caused stress whenever it came time to pack up to move on.

Because of a kink in the wire it always left the track of the pulley and became jammed. I have been able to improve things a bit by removing the pulley and packing the pulley axle with a number of washers so that the wire is kept captive on the pulley This, along with shortening the elastic seems to have improved things.

The next thing will be to remove the wires and end for end them so that the kink is out of the equation. Has anyone else done this?.

We also had problems locking the support poles until I discarded the bolts and wing nuts supplied and replaced them with same sized stainless steel ones. I find they tighten a lot easier and lock the clamp better.
Generally we are pleased with the awning in spite of these ongoing hassles. It was really put to the test recently at Burrum Heads when the wind was blowing its proverbial. It blew really hard for days on end and the awning didn't move.
We have been in some very narrow spots in our van and have had the chainsaw out a few times. Any other type of awning would have been ripped off the van.
We have found that we can always find a shady side of the van to sit on when we stop for lunch.
So we will stick with the Coolibah and hope I don't fall off the ladder when I put the awning up!.
Regards,
David
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 573437

Our Sponsors