Went for a drive...

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 06:30
ThreadID: 125287 Views:4361 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I've just posted a video on you tube, it's a highly polished professional creation, shot with high end gear with image stabilisation...NOT...of a 2 day trip between Lancelin and Cervantes on the WA coast with the BT in tow, my ex wife's cousin was over from Germany and has bought himself an old troopie to visit Alice and Fraser Island with, he's never driven off road hence the drive. Had a ball as always.
Both got stuck...He was thrilled to have vid of the troopie towing the H2 with the BT out, I didn't have the heart to tell him he'd probably never had made it to that point towing the BT with the troopie !

Word of warning for those of you with slow download speeds / data limits, as I couldn't edit any of the clips and just glued them together it turned out a bit over 9 minutes long.

Enjoy !

au.youtube.com/watch?v=v741FUI9i7I

Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kilcoy Yowies - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 05:48

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 05:48
The Kedron Gall boys have got nothing on you!!

Enjoyed your video and can imagine how much fun your German visitor had.

Maureen and David
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576631

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:12

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:12
Wow Al - Impressive - and all that with only one solar panel!

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 576632

Reply By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:29

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:29
Very impressed HC.

Now let me get this straight.... you have an EX wife and a Hummer and a BT.

Yep, I'm really impressed.

cheers

AnswerID: 576633

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 17:38

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 17:38
For those of us with speed / data limits, can anyone enlighten as to the actual size of the file to be downloaded. Best to know before rather than after.

Cheers
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 576634

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 00:54

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 00:54
John,

I cannot tell you how big the file is, but it goes for 9 min 31 sec so it must be a fair bit.

All I can say is I am not going to let him tow my 21 ft BT where he towed his much smaller version. There wouldn't be many caravans that have been towed over that sort of country.

The Germans will think we are crazy when he gets home and shows everyone.

Brian

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 850510

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:08

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:08
That's for sure Brian - we tried that route with a Landcruiser once - north to south, and turned back after some hours. Sliding up and down sand hills, then heading for the beach when we didn't know the tide patterns was a bit much for me.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850511

Follow Up By: Sawtybt - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:54

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:54
John,

It is just over 17 Mb

Regards
Ross
FollowupID: 850512

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 05:56

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 05:56
Thanks Ross, That was exactly the info I required
Regards
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 850513

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 23:46

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008 at 23:46
Al,
Thanks, that was great. I gather you did not have to get back out over that sandhill you went down at the start of the video..
I am coming over to Laverton in May. Maybe I will be able to get up there.
Willie.
AnswerID: 576635

Reply By: Rockgoc - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 01:29

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 01:29
Unreal AL ! I had butterflies watching the part where you bellied out in the sand with the water right there!!! Nice to see the vehicles both being used to their full porential though. Sent the video clip to my daughter and son-in-law to make 'em jealous!
Cheers, Happy New Year from Jan O & Easy
AnswerID: 576636

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 03:49

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 03:49
Al, what tyre pressures on the Hummer and BT on the beach? Your travelling companions can be well proud of the troopy.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 576637

Reply By: Happy Camper - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:13

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:13
Hi Everyone,

Happy to hear you're enjoying the vid.

To answer a the questions,

Kilcoy Yowies, Thanks.

Motherhen, One solar panel, yep but wont be that way for long, I have 6 in storage with all my other treasures ( the blokes will know what I mean...), I'm going to put another couple on.

Gone Bush...Yea..not bad eh.. :) Bit like winning Lotto..... :) haha. Just kidding Ladies ( Man I really need to learn about self preservation.. :)

Uncle Dodgey, sorry mate, don't know how to tell.

Noosa Fox...mate, least let me try...just kidding, it's really the domain of small vans, not only in length but width also. There's space sacrifices compared to you guys.

Sawtybt, how'd you find that out ?

Willie, if you look carefully at the dune descent shot from the bottom you'll see some tracks that end 75% up the dune face, that's the point I got to trying to get up. A couple of week prior I actually made it up and over after three attemps, I'll resize a couple of pics and put them on youtube if I can. I'll post the link when it's done.

Rockgoc, When I saw that bay I knew it'd be a challange and I camly thought..." WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE " It was ~ 3Km's long and the middle had quite a steep beach. I tramped it and hung on, made it just under half way and stopped before I got into real strife, Elke's Cuz, who was behind me only made it a quarter of the way around, when he reversed back he let the LC slip down out of the tracks so when I reached that point reversing the BT it naturally followed his tracks and the rest is history... I'd dropped my tyre pressue on the H2 to 14 PSI and was running the BT tyres at 14 PSI as well. When we towed it all back to firmer ground I sunk the boot and picked a higher line hitting it at 75Kph, the H2 has 315HP and great gobs of torque in low range, I needed to get 75% of the way in order to get around the real boggy stuff and drop onto the firmer flatter stuff, I only just made it,when I hit the firm stuff I was down to about 5Kph and trying to look collected !!! The BT handled really well, kept it's line superbly even though it runs a little ( 50mm Max ) proud of the H2 track. By the way turns out the bay is named Boggy Bay, I think the guy on the ATV thought I was a nut, 'course YOU don't DO you !! haha

Motherhen, The BT tyres were at 14 PSI the whole trip, it makes for slow going over the limestone sections, of which there is lots. One has to be particularly aware of turning corners with low tyre pressures as corkscrewing of the tyres is pronounced and where possible one has to try and not have the van turning onto sharp sided rocks when manoeuvring around the corners. Going nice and gently is the trick. The H2 tyres were up at 20 PSI prior to hitting Boggy bay for the second run and left at that until I came off the beach 10K's South of Cervantes.

Thank you all for taking the time to view the vid.

Al

AnswerID: 576638

Follow Up By: Happy Camper - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:21

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 07:21
This should read,

Motherhen, The BT tyres were at 14 PSI the whole trip, it makes for slow going over the limestone sections, of which there is lots. One has to be particularly aware of turning corners with low tyre pressures as corkscrewing of the tyres is pronounced and where possible one has to try and not have the van turning onto sharp sided rocks when manoeuvring around the corners. Going nice and gently is the trick. The H2 tyres were up at 20 PSI prior to hitting Boggy bay for the second run.

They were then dropped to 14 PSI and left at that until I came off the beach 10K's South of Cervantes.
FollowupID: 850514

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 11:22

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 11:22
Great Video, ive travelled that area in a Landcruiser not towing, i'm impressed with the H2 even if it's towing a baby BT ... lol

AnswerID: 576639

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 01:43

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 01:43
Mick, it certainly is an impressive Hummer. We met Al when we saw his Hummer and went to look.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850516

Our Sponsors