bicycle rack

Submitted: Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:09
ThreadID: 125291 Views:4206 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,Tony and I would like to take our bikes on our next trip, around Oz.The front draw bar has no room for bikes.We own a new Land Cruiser.Has anyone any suggestions?We have considered fold-up bikes.Happy New Year to all.The Hagans.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:12

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 21:12
We have the onyerbike folding bikes and they are full sized bikes that fold up into a bag and at the same time are top quality bikes that are great for riding.

Prior to the folding bikes we normal bikes on a rack beside the boat on the roof rack but they were too hard to get down for a quick ride and had little if any use. Also when bikes are outside anywhere then they are going to get lots of dust into the working parts and or stone damage.

I think that stowing bikes inside bags or inside a vehicle is the only way to go if you are going to do lots of unmade road travel.

Have a look at the onyerbike logo in our supporters column on the right of the page and mention that you are a BOG member and you will get a discount.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576649

Reply By: Leigh & Mita - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 06:22

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 06:22
If you're contemplate bike racks (not that I'm recommending that course of action) don't bother with the Thule Brand; sturdy they aint. Brought a set couple of years back, left the Gold Coast and by the time we got to Inglewood one had snapped resulting in the bike dragging on the ground.

Regards

Leigh
AnswerID: 576650

Follow Up By: Kilcoy Yowies - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:15

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:15
I have an Onyerbike and am very happy with the bike itself.

However putting it in it's bag is not an option for me, much too fiddly, and it then has to be lifted in and out of the back of the Effie. Being a heavy bike I find that difficult and awkward to do by myself.
I want to be able to get to my bike with the minimum of effort and be able to use it at every stop if necessary without help from my husband. I know that I will have a dirty and possibly stonechipped bike but I am prepared to sacrifice this for convenience.

We are at the moment working out where to carry it and it will probably be on the draw bar perhaps mounting a tow ball on a steel plate and using a bike rack.

Thanks for the info on the Thule brand bike rack Leigh, that's the one I have and use it on the back of the car so I will get another type for the van. Has anyone any suggestions.
Cheers,
Maureen
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

FollowupID: 850519

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 20:12

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 20:12
Maureen,
You just need more practice at putting it in the bag. Not that hard when you do it the right way around.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 850520

Our Sponsors