Tepon Park Muster

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 00:35
ThreadID: 126392 Views:8961 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have been living on the Atherton Tablelands for 2 years now on a block of rainforest off the waterfall circuit (Theresa Creek Road) not far out of Millaa Millaa which is about 40km from the Wondecla/ Herberton camp site. It is a shame we won’t be around when the muster is on as we have already made & paid for other holiday arrangements. Not to worry I look forward to hearing about it. We think you have chosen a wonderful part of Australia to come & look at. The people are friendly down to earth rural stock & we have been made to feel very welcome in a short time. I have made up a list of just a few of the things we have enjoyed finding, seeing ,doing & it still continues to this day so I hope it helps in your pre muster planning.

..Firstly we have free local newspapers that have lots of information in them plus look for the “Whats On Where” and “Discover “ Brochures at any Visitor Information Place.

.. I would recommend you go & visit one of the many wonderful information centres at Atherton, Malanda, Ravenshoe, Herberton, Mareeba, Yungaburra, Kuranda, and Chillagoe & Dimbulah . www.athertoninformationcentre.com.au has links to all these & more.
You can get free information books, brochures, maps, bird lists, a list to our wonderful monthly markets( on every weekend at differing towns where you can buy fresh tableland produce, & in my case lots of pot plants.) gifts & clothes.

..The Tablelands have many beautiful waterfalls the most famous is Millaa Millaa Falls but in our 16km circuit you also get to see Zillie Falls & Ellinjaa Falls. If you want more there are Mungalli Falls down the Palmerstone Hwy turn onto Brooks Road, closer to Innisfail there are Nandroya, Wallicher & Tchupala Falls accessed from Palmerstone Highway. Further down again is the Ma Mu canopy walk a must see on a clear day with stunning views over Wooroonooran National Park & world heritage rainforests.
We have many unique & wonderful animals in our area such as the Lumholtz tree kangaroo, musky rat kangaroo, rare possums like the green, striped & Herbert river ringtail. Volunteers for the National Parks have a spotlighting trip once a month at Mt Hypipamee starts from car park & just meander along bitumen road for hour or so with hot drink & chat with reference material to identify what you have seen. They ask a donation & being volunteers it is very worthwhile. (Numbers may be limited to 20 only).We have done this twice & seen many different possums & the tree kangaroo. Arrive earlier to do walk to crater & falls.
Great spot to have a picnic tea before night walk as well.
..It took us 2 years before we finally found a tree kangaroo at Mt Hypipamee Crater on the Kennedy Highway then not long after I was very lucky to see a mother & young very close at Malanda falls picnic area.
..Atherton is the main centre for the area with lots of shops & usual supermarkets. Just out of town on south side is century old Hou Wang Temple & museum site of a old Chinese town .While here you can also watch the Atherton Birds of Prey display held at the rear of this building at 11.00 four days a week ,which I go & watch quiet often being a local bird enthusiast.
Hasties swamp on outskirts of Atherton is bird watchers must.
The Barron Valley Hotel has nice food for lunch or tea.
O’Hallorans Hill is on the south side of town & offers great views of the surrounding farms & mountains.
On the road to Malanda is Gallos Dairy which sells wonderful cheeses & chocolate & if you get there at the right time you can even watch the cows bringing themselves up to be milked all 600 plus of them.
There are 2 crater lakes with lovely walks around them Barrine is 5km & Eacham 3km & you will see birds & animals on the way.
..Yungaburra is near the Curtain Fig tree lovely old village with historic hotel & Platypus viewing on creek just on outskirts. The Chalet rainforest Gallery has some interesting things especially upstairs.Close to Lake Tinaroo with a great monthly market.
..Malanda has a lovely waterfall & swimming area adjacent to 2 beautiful rainforest walks where you will see lots of birds & wildlife & has a nice café & visitor information centre. For the ladies there is a dress shop & great gift shop in the town plus supermarket & butcher & Historic Hotel for the guys with gorgeous silky oak staircase.
The Dairy Centre has displays & tours of all things dairy & the café has lovely food. Malanda markets have great fresh produce as well.
You will see 2 lovely statues in tribute to the farmers of the area on the main road & many lovely mosaics in the park & on buildings. The historic Old Majestic Theatre is one street back from main road & we still watch movies here in sling seats.
..Ravenshoe has a couple of Old Hotels ,lovely ions wide main street & old buildings & great bakery & cafes .I loved the Torimba festival they put on lots of timber carvings & crafts & Winsomes Gallery has beautiful paintings. On the road out to Mt garnet is the Millstream National park with the widest waterfalls in Australia. There are a lot of WW2 sites marked out around here but the whole Tablelands was a staging post & training area
The Ravenshoe Historic Rail Station & Train are worth a look & ride on Sundays around 1.00pm.
..Herberton the first town established on the Tablelands due to discovery of large deposits of Tin with a very interesting Mining centre, mine walks, and it has a camera museum, The Historic Village recently reopened & so interesting. Historic Irvinebank is 30km to west of Herberton was a tin settlement in the hills behind Herberton & has a historic house museum built by mining magnate John Moffat in 1884 that will take you back in time. There are many other historic constructions around Irvinebank & the Hotel does great steak sandwiches.
..Mareeba has quite a few coffee plantations & places to taste the brewed bean & all things coffee. Mango wines are at The Golden Drop, Warbirds display with ex military craft on road to Atherton, Mt Uncle distillery 10 mins south has liqueurs & spirits of many flavours,& the Mareeba Wetlands a bird watchers must north of Mareeba at Jabiru Safari Camp.
..Kuranda is famous markets on every day plus the Butterfly sanctuary are a wonderful place to spend some time & learn about these beautiful creatures. The Skyrail cable car down to the base of the mountain is very exhilarating giving stunning views over the forest & Barron gorge & the Train ride is just as wonderful you can arrange a package to go down on one & return on the other.
..Tolga is on the road north of Atherton & it has a quaint old rail station & The Woodworks with handcrafted timber pieces you’ll just want to own.
..Lake Tinaroo is our dam & water supply for people in this area & also a great recreational fishing & boating area. There is a circuit drive around it on the Danbulla Drive & you will find there are lovely bays where camping is allowed some have vans but it is a National Park & State Forest. You will also find The Cathedral Fig Tree & Euramoo Crater Lake here & Mobo Creek Crater walk & the chimney remains of a soldier settler’s house from 1920’s.
..Millaa Millaa a small town that services the dairy farmers around it but is also surrounded by the most beautiful scenery. Some old buildings have been preserved & there is a museum open in the mornings by volunteers ,also has remains of huge old Kauri Pine tree a victim of a cyclone, estimated to be about 1000 years old & one of the last great giants that covered our area before logging. A monument to Christie Palmerstone is in the park who was first European to come through the thick forests following old aboriginal trails. There is a pioneer statue in the form of a cow at the end of the street. Millaa Millaa has a fabulous Golf course & visitors are always welcome. Keep an eye out along the creek for Tree Kangaroos. The Old Cheese factory once renowned is now derelict but there is a lovely bio dynamic yogurt & cheese factory down the mountain toward Innisfail on Brooks road called Mungalli Creek dairy with fabulous views & tea room. A bit further down this road you will find Mungalli Falls, drive into the retreat to see them.
Anyone to coming to the Tablelands has to see The Waterfall Circuit which is Theresa Creek road (we are lucky to live on it). This circuit starts or finishes just out of Millaa Millaa off the Palmerstone Highway toward Innisfail & has the famous Millaa Millaa falls seen in many adverts on TV the most recent was for the ice skating for the winter Olympics. Also a good spot for a picnic & swim if you dare. You will see some amazing scenery along here looking over Mt Bartle Frere (Queensland’s highest mountain) & Mt Bellenden Kerr. Further on you will find Zillie Falls & Ellinjaa Falls.
If you keep heading down the Palmerstone Highway to Innisfail you will come to Crawford’s Lookout on the side of the road which has a beautiful view down into the Johnstone River & not long after this is the turn off into the MaMu Canopy walk which has some stunning views of that valley as well as you will get a bird’s eye view of the rainforest.
This is just some of things in our wonderful Tablelands area so get yourself a brochure I know you will love it. There is an abundance more to see at Cairns, Innisfail, Port Douglas, Mossman, Cooktown Chillago, The Savannah Way, Cassowary Coast, Great Green way so get planning & you’ll need lots of time.
As mentioned we have been here 2 years & still learning.

EVENTS ON IN AUGUST (from TRC events calendar) 2010
7th Cairns Cup for race go’ers
7-14th Great Pyramid race & country fair at Gordonvale
7th Gold Panning Championships at Mareeba
14th – 27th Maize Festival Atherton
28th Mareeba Multicultural Festival
22nd War birds Air show Mareeba
1-8th Cairns Open Golf Week

SEPTEMBER
4-5th Herberton garden Show
4-5th Lever Action State Championships at Ravenshoe
11th Mt Garnet Garden Competition & Mini Show
18th & 19th Tablelands Garden Expo (not sure where yet)
10-12th Kuranda Spring fair
5th Carnival on Collins in Cairns

OCTOBER
2-16th Festival of the rainforest & Torimba in Ravenshoe
9th Torimba Mardi Gras & market
7th- 10th Walkamin Country Music Festival
21-24th Yungaburra Folk festival
17th Tastes Of The Tablelands in Atherton
8-9th Opera In The Outback at Undara Lava Tubes

To The committee , I have contacted the editor of “Whats On Where” her name is Katje Pyne & she is happy to send some copies of Whats On Where to you for the time you are there when they are printed. She can be contacted on Katje @whatsonwhere.com.au phone 0740152377 or 0409725466 for an address to post them
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bindi - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 00:56

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 00:56
Fantastic.

28th Mareeba Multicultural Festival
22nd War birds Air show Mareeba

These 2 have my attention the week before the muster as we will be in Mareeba [or there obouts] family and friends there.
AnswerID: 579890

Reply By: bindi - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 00:59

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 00:59
Wish there was an EDIT on our posts for typos [and spelling].
AnswerID: 579891

Reply By: Turist - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:08

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:08
Thanks Panna Trackers, a well documented post, I am sure that those attending the Muster will appreciate it.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 579892

Reply By: focs18 - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:37

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 02:37
I agree, well done, Panna Trackers,

A couple of years ago we travelled the Waterfall Circuit and agree it is worth the trip.

This is just the contact information Stella needs for her Information kits.

I am sure there will be a great turn up to this Muster.

Chris & Pam
Living Life to the Fullest in a BT
Membership Registrar - Pam

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 579893

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 03:12

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 03:12
Wow Panna Trackers; I want to go back to the Tablelands! We spent two weeks in and around Cairns in 1999, and saw just a small taste of this wonderful part of the country. We thought we could easily live on the Tablelands.

Cheers

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 579894

Follow Up By: Panna Trackers - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 05:24

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 05:24
We love living around here in the wet tropics. There is so much to do & the scenery spectacular . Water is not as an issue as it has been down south. Our rainwater tanks have been overflowing lately. I'm sure there will be a few having a look at the real estate pages when they get here.
I'm glad to offer what help I can (me being Lyndal) as Trevor is away at present.
I put a few photos on our photo site .
Cheers Panna Tracker # 2
FollowupID: 852282

Reply By: Rockgoc - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 06:41

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 06:41
Lyndal fantastic post! I commend you for your thoughtfulness, and hope all who visit the area appreciate it too. I'm sure they will. Just dissapointed we can't go. Typically, we have to work! One day...........
How's Trevor going over in the dirt? We had 46 yesterday as well as two tornadoes throught the camp. I was trying to get washing off the line at the time!!! Red dirt...dontcha just love it?.
AnswerID: 579895

Reply By: Wherrol - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:20

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:20
Lyndal you must have spent ages working on this post and it is certainly well appreciated.

You have whetted our appetite of the many things on offer up in your area. We would love to go the War Bird show and the BOG rally. Trouble is there is a grandchild due around about that time, so who knows. We may be a late entry!

Allan and Sharon
AnswerID: 579896

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 02:51

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 02:51
Well done Panna Trackers,
Great info & well received

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 579897

Reply By: Panna Trackers - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:30

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:30
Here is a bit more information on the markets. Great for fresh Tableland produce & for me plants.

MONTHLY MARKETS on ATHERTON TABLELANDS

Atherton Every 1st Saturday of month at Platypus Park Herberton Road near Hou Wang Temple 7.00am-12.oopm ph. 40965382 ( small but good)

Tolga Every 1st Sunday of month at Morrow Park racecourse Tolga7.00am-12pm ph. 40912810 (good one)

Mareeba Every 2nd Saturday of month at Centenary Park Byrnes Street 7.00am-12 ph. 0419788277 (good one)

Kairi Every 2nd Sunday opposite Kairi Hotel in Lions Park 7.00am ph. 40958250
( very small not much there last time I went)

Archers Creek every 2nd Sunday at Archers Creek Rest Area on Kennedy Hwy approximately 16km west of Ravenshoe 7.00am-12.00pm ph.40970297(small but interesting)

Malanda Every 3rd Saturday of month at showgrounds Malanda 7.00am -12.00ph.0439702657 (good one)

Herberton/Wondecla Every 3rd Sunday at Wondecla sports ground south of Herberton 7.00am -12.00 ph. 40962408 ( small but good)

Yungaburra Every 4th Saturday Bruce Jones Park middle of Yungaburra 7.00am to 12.30 ph.40952111 ( biggest & great)

Ravenshoe Every 4th Sunday at Ravenshoe Railway Station 8.00am -12.00 ph. 40976009 (small but good for me I love plants)

Speewah Country markets Speewah Tavern Top Garden 8.00am -2.00pm Every Sunday On way to Kuranda ( I have never been yet!)

Kuranda Markets every day they start closing about 2pm after last train leaves.(It is worth a look but can be too commercial & lots of mass produced produce from overseas.)
AnswerID: 579898

Reply By: Cruisin' Twosome - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 02:35

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 02:35
Thank you for the information that you have supplied us with. I will keep this for future reference. Hopefully one day we will meet. Keep enjoying your lovely area, it has been about 25 years since we last visited so we will see a great improvement. Safe travelling and many thanks.

Cya
Stella & Jack
Stella & Jack Voolstra

AnswerID: 579899

Reply By: Cook & Chauffeur - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:06

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:06
Hi all BOG members,

We are excited about picking up our new van in July and intend on coming to the muster in FNQ. We spent 5 1/2 months at Walkamin last year during which time I worked at the Tolga Woodworks Gallery and Cafe. We loved the area and did a fair bit of sight-seeing with plenty more to be on the agenda this year. Currently we are working in Coober Pedy and we are really looking forward to being close to water again (Lake Tinaroo, all the lovely waterfalls, Great Barrier Reef etc) as we are surrounded by miles of red dust.

The Mining Museum at Herberton is excellent and a real must do is visiting North Queensland Gold Coffee Plantation. Bruno Maloberti is the owner and he gives fantastic tours for under $10 / person. Do not expect a flash building etc. Bruno is "the real hard working salt of the earth deal". This was one of the best tours we did in 5 months. We told everyone we met about this tour and the great coffee you can buy from Bruno. We ended up taking other people out to visit and did the tour 3 times and each time learnt more about the craft of growing and processing coffee.

I can assure you that there is heaps to see around the Atherton Tablelands and it also is a great central area to head off in different directions. We drove up the Bloomfield Track to Cooktown, visited Pt Douglas, Chillagoe Caves and Undara Lava Tubes area amongst other day trips. The volunteers at the Ravenshoe, Atherton and Mareeba tourist information centres were very helpful when asking about various places to visit.

We hope to meet with many of you at the muster and learn your tricks of the Bushtracker lifestyle.

Cheers,
Nerilee & Grahame
(The cook and the chauffer)
AnswerID: 579900

Reply By: bindi - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 23:07

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 23:07
Bump to the top.
I know this has "gone off the radar",but,is there anything new, is the muster still going to happen?
We will be there if it does.
AnswerID: 579901

Follow Up By: Turist - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 03:52

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 03:52
"... is the muster still going to happen? ...."
Unbelievers will be condemned to forever tow a Jayco.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 852283

Reply By: bindi - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 06:51

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 06:51
A "junko", sorry, Jayco......Never. I have had a good [let's say] "dirt road van" in the past but never a , what's it called again that light wood, stapled thing?
Now a proud owner of a BT.
I want to believe, but from June we will be full time on the road and want to plan [just a little] to be in the area of the muster, we plan [what little we do] to be north of Townsville about then.
Shudder,don't condemn us to a fate to have to tow such a 'thing' as above.
AnswerID: 579902

Follow Up By: bindi - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 06:53

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 06:53
You will give me NIGHTMARES, the thought of it!
FollowupID: 852284

Our Sponsors