Why a Bush Tracker

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:34
ThreadID: 126559 Views:8869 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
My wife & I are planning the big trip around oz, hopefully next year and are looking at all the vans out there & to be quite honest are getting very confused. We are planning on doing a lot of off road travel. I was speaking to a work mate who told me his father had a Bushtracker van and is absolutely wrapped in it. So I decided to delve a bit more only to find that they really are quiet expensive !! Could anyone out there tell me why a Bushtracker as opposed to other vans??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:54

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:54
Pete, just for starters, we have posted a Document almost with the same heading as your question in the Documents of the front page of this forum site.
We spent (seriously looking) much effort at various rigs for 5 years and thus the story (with some 'light hearted' comments included).
In fact we found that at the time (March to Nov 2005) our BT was the best value for money AND it was about 7th down the list for expense. In other words at least 6 other 'brands' or 'makes' of rigs which would have suited us were more expensive.
Please feel free to enjoy the read of the document.
Cheers
AnswerID: 580396

Follow Up By: bindi - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 20:55

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 20:55
G'Day Mobi Condo, I can't find "Document almost with the same heading as your question in the Documents of the front page of this forum site. " I wasted 15min looking, I am not a complete idiot on computers but this time I must be, can't see for looking.
Can anyone find this document please?
FollowupID: 852534

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 19:20

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 19:20
I couldn't find it either... :(
FollowupID: 852535

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 21:15

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 21:15
See if this works - a screen dump of My Home Page see if the highlighted Doc is inidcated.
CheersImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 852536

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 21:50

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 21:50
Oops - forgot to mention, send me a PM or email to iansal1@bigpond.com to give me your email for an original copy.
Cheers
FollowupID: 852537

Follow Up By: CD & JW - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 06:01

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 06:01
Well now I see where it is.

Its NOT on the front page of this forum -

It is in the list of files that everyone has on the bottom of their own Personal members page / profile page.

Just click on "My Home" on the top left of the forum, scroll down till you come to "Document Library" then look down the list of files and it is there for us all to see.

Named
"WHY we chose a BT"

:) :) :)

FollowupID: 852538

Reply By: Deleted User - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:56

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:56
Any caravan is just a box on wheels into which you stuff your stuff. A BT has a stronger box including stronger furniture. Addons such as solar battery charging all adds to the initial capital outlay.....the skys the limit here.

For sure I doubt you will find any hardcore criticism of a BT here. For that you will have to go elsewhere.
AnswerID: 580397

Reply By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:11

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:11
Pete & Wife,
We enjoy outback travel and will take our BT down desert tracks where others leave their non BT vans at a roadhouse and go in and tent it at some of the remote attractions that lie at the end of rough trails. Not our preffered option when we have all the comforts of home.

Superior build quality is really the key to ownership of a BT over any other van.

If the initial outlay of a new BT scares you off.......We would suggest that instead of purchasing a new van of lesser build quality, then look to a pre loved Bushtracker as it will still be a stronger option and a better re sale option for you down the track if your needs change.

Take a look at our web site for some of our travels.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 580398

Reply By: Wherrol - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:20

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:20
Pete, and Mrs Peta,

Bang for buck we reckon the Bushtracker is number one.

Our journey:
First up we looked at buying a fifth wheeler seemed like a good idea at the time.
Then we decided on what we really wanted to see in Australia was off road and thought the 5th wheeler was one big dumb idea.

Next we looked at your average Jayco style off road vans, yeah they were the same, but lacked any feel of anything being solid.

So off to the caravan show, Melbourne first then home town Brisbane.

We decided to stick to the Brisbane manufacturers as this is our home turff.

First to Kedron, nice but for us we did not like the idea that we could not design our own.

Next to Phonenix lovely van but there did not seem to be enough of them around and we were sort of frightened off that idea.

Finally to Bushtracker where we were helped and assisted and given a great factory tour.

What really made up our mind was this forum. Help offered at every turn, we were so lucky and have found our van.

The building of the van from order to delivery was 12 months.

Result: Picked up the van in April 08 and just bought a house now (March 10). On the road full time over 50,000km clocked on the van. If ever we had a problem we knew Bushtracker were on the end of the phone line with the best backup service we have ever come across. Or there was BOG to help us out.

A lifestyle that is second to none, living in the bush, solar powered, relaxing under the stars with a comfy bed, and bathroom luxury. What more could you want.

And finally the added bonus, every time you meet another Bushtracker owner it is wine and nibblies for sunset, or a cuppa and a g'day. Which we love and made lots of lovely friends.

Price = quality, in our opinion. But the added persuader is this. The price really seems to hold its value if you look after your house on wheels.

Good luck with the search

Allan and Sharon
AnswerID: 580399

Reply By: Theywent Thataway - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 06:51

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 06:51
I suggest that - as it appears you havent been in one yet - you seek out a chance to check one out in the flesh. Perhaps do a tour of the BT factory , if you live near Maroochydore.

I bet the work mates dad wouldnt mind showing you his BT , either! :-)

Now that you have checked out the others that are out there, the difference in quality will astound you. No confusion - except for how to afford one.....

All depends on your tow vehicle too.

My 2c worth...

Maz.
(BT picked up in March, done 5,000km. Away at least once a month and LOVING it!!!)
the scruB ark...on The Way

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Fiamma Carry Bike for sale

AnswerID: 580400

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 04:19

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 04:19
Hi Pete and Kez

As we want to see the 'real Australia' at an age when crawling under and fixing things is not quite so easy, we looked at many different rigs. Once my husband saw the strength of construction of the BT, nothing else would do. We purchased pre-loved in 2004 (1998 model), and have enjoyed real outback areas and routes with confidence.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 580401

Reply By: Pete & Kez - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 22:11

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 22:11
Thankyou to all for your advice. As we have never been on a forum before we are not quite sure how to reply. So here goes..
Firstly thankyou to all who responded and gave advice, We are really inspired by you lucky people out there travelling around this beautiful country of ours. By the sounds of things everyone seems to be more than happy with there Bush Tracker van. We presently have a camper trailer which we love to pieces but for the big trip we will move on up to a van. We have just upgraded our 07 Prado to the new Model and I see Bush Tracker have an 18' van apparently designed for the lower power end vehicles like the Prado etc. I think it will be defiantly worth a trip to take a look at how the Bush Trackers are made. On a final note, Kez & I are doing a trip from Townsville across Boulia then into NT & across the Plenty Highway to Alice Springs & Uluru. Just wondering can anybody advise what would be some must see's.
Regards
Pete & Kez
AnswerID: 580402

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 05:21

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 05:21
Hi Pete and Kez

Re Alice Springs to Uluru. We toured that area in 2008, and i have Blogs about the trip on ExplorOz.com in the MyBlog section. One day soon i will start a website of my own for my travelogues. Rainbow Valley, Palm Valley and Kings Canyon were highlights, and in town the Desert Park a must see.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 852539

Reply By: bindi - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 00:06

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 00:06
I am sure there are posts on this somewhere, but.

Look on RV Point Bushtrackers for sale How much do you want to spend as there is more BTs for sale then I have seen for awhile.
AnswerID: 580403

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 05:23

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 05:23
Hi Bindi

While i recommend people purchase pre-loved, and there are so many out there now compared to when we were looking early 2004 when we had a choice of two, Pete and Kez want to keep their Prado, so a new hybrid lite is their only option.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 852540

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 05:27

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 05:27
This baby may be OK with a Prado, being an early model when they made them much smaller than they do now.

http://www.bushtrackerownersgroup.asn.au/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=6576&MO=6&Page=%2FForum%2FDefault%2Easp%3FDisplaySet%3DActive%26MO%3D6%26PN%3D1

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 580404

Follow Up By: bindi - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 08:13

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 08:13
This one, nice, 16' BT
FollowupID: 852541

Reply By: CD & JW - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 03:35

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 03:35
The lovely little 16 footer that Bindi and Motherhen mention does not list an ensuite.

I was originally (2009) told by Matthew that the hybrid lite 17' BT comes as is. So no changes in layout etc permitted.

It certainly looks like either the advertised 16' one or the hybrid would be nice for the lighter tow vehicles though.

LJW
AnswerID: 580405

Reply By: Cruisin' Twosome - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 20:15

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 20:15
Hi Pete & Kez, Welcome to the Bushtracker family. I am a committee member and we have had our B/T for nearly 6 years 5 of those permantely on the road. We have done many off road trips the most recent up to the Kimberley where there was 7 of us and drove up to Kalumbaru and Mitchell Plateau.

Now if you would really like to see some B/T and talk to us come to our Muster which is being held at Tepon near Herberton (Atherton) Qld. Starting on the 1st September and going all week, you can just visit for the day as other prospective buyers have been doing and you will gain alot of information, on do & don't do's, layouts and ofcourse meet all of us and find out about how we run things.

Look forward to meeting you if unable to atten Tepon continue to use this website as you see you will be rewarded with the help and comments.

When we bought our van in 1994 we lived in Mackay and did not know anyone who had a B/T so we went to the factory, there we were given a tour of the factory and could see how the vans are being made. This helped make up our van, yes they are dear but you get what you pay for and if you want a van that lasts and goes anywhere than this is the one.

Cheers
Stella
Stella & Jack Voolstra

AnswerID: 580406

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:50

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:50
1994 Stella? I thought the first commercial production started in 1996.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 852542

Reply By: Cruisin' Twosome - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:17

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 16:17
Sorry typing error or a seniors moment I meant 2004.
Stella & Jack Voolstra

AnswerID: 580407

Follow Up By: Agnes Lifestyle - Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 03:27

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at 03:27
Pete and Kez,
We purchased a 16ft BT with ensuite in 2002. This was our own design. We have never considered upgrading to a bigger size. Well ...Maybe... if we were going to live in it we might think about it. It is an excellent size for towing,bush bashing, shopping centres,friends and relies yards, small areas etc. Ron would have liked a 14ft. No way! I love my ensuite!

Regards
Dianne
FollowupID: 852543

Our Sponsors