mobile phone that takes patch lead

Submitted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 17:55
ThreadID: 127998 Views:8372 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone recommend a mobile phone that will take a patch lead. We have the aerial set up in our van and need a phone to go with it before we take off for Cape York in June.
Our IPhone doesn't have that facility and we just spent a week at the Boondooma Homestead Festival with no service, and daughter's first baby overdue in London at the same time!. Friends Murray Marauders who were camped beside us were able to get a signal with their Telstra phone ( and kindly brought the good news to us at 4am..a boy!).
However they dont like that particular phone so I wonder what other phones are out there that people are happy with.
Many thanks,
David and Maureen
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherrol - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:12

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 18:12
We bought a Telstra T100 from Coles (yes that Coles the super duper electrics shop!) comes with a patch lead socket and a blue tick.

Cost was $24.95.

Comes in blue or blue or blue.

Cheers

Sharon
AnswerID: 584103

Reply By: Wherrol - Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:24

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 at 23:24
In answer to some questions we have had...

There is no phone plan with this phone. It is, however, tied to Telstra.

You also receive a $10 pre paid card with the phone.

We bought ours in Canberra on Christmas eve, they are probably everywhere.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon
AnswerID: 584104

Reply By: Toyman - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 03:30

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 03:30
Samsung s5220 or older A411or A412
Telstra Tough T2 or previous T90(my current one)
All are Blue tick and have connections for an external antenna

Cheers
John
"He who dies with the most toys wins"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 584105

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 04:13

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 04:13
With you here John - 412 with $30 data pack from Telstra has seen us do all our banking, web searches and emails for the 12 week far west Qld & Cape York jaunt in 2009 and last Dec / Jan via all over NSW and SE Qld. Where ever we had reception with the phone we had business!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 854333

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:46

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 20:46
Hi David and Maureen,
Firstly you need to make sure you buy a "blue tick" phone as anything else has limited coverage. We live in remote NT and I bought a Motorola Atrix, It has worked well and has the patch facility. I am on a plan with Telstra $80 a month with $800 worth of calls and free messaging, very rarely go over my limit and use messaging a lot.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 584106

Reply By: Cowcockies - Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 23:04

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 at 23:04
Hi, David & Maureen,

We bought a Telstra Tough 2 when we were on the road last year.
Paid cash, which gave us access to their Freedom Connect BYO plan. With out going into an A4 page of sales hype, $49.00 per month for 12 months. $550.00 worth of calls 1.5GB of data per month.
Although the screen on this phone is small the remote reception seems to be better than all but the very expensive ipad type phones & is easy to connect to our Mac lap top.
We improved our 05 BT phone arial reception, when we realised that there was a TV type joiner instead of a shielded wireless joiner used, when one of the extras ordered with our new van for the then CDMA phone.

Regards David & Sue
AnswerID: 584107

Reply By: Luvntravln - Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 01:09

Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 01:09
We have the Samsung A411 - works a charm.

Currently in the USA and simply bought an ATT SIM for the phone and all is good.

When iPhone 5 appears we will get that and keep the Samsung for off-road stuff. Probably buy some type of a prepaid SIM when needed.
AnswerID: 584108

Follow Up By: Kilcoy Yowies - Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 04:42

Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 04:42
Thanks everyone for all the replies re phones that will take a patchlead.We bought a Telstra Active Touch which seems a nice phone with easy to use touch screen like the IPhone. I asked after the phones you recommended but was only able to buy this one or another at the Telstra shop near us. I could have bought a Telstra phone at Coles that took a patch lead for.... $10!!. However it was pre-paid and I wanted an unlocked phone to take to UK next week so this one suited us.
Cheers,
Maureen and David

FollowupID: 854334

Reply By: Grinandbearit - Monday, May 07, 2012 at 08:38

Monday, May 07, 2012 at 08:38
Hi David and Maureen,

There appears to be a significant amount of incorrect information being passed on to consumers by various phone outlets/providers about what is or isn't available..

Wendy purchased an Apple I-Phone 4/4s about 12 months ago and we were categorically informed 'that there was no patch lead or 'in car' cradle for i-phones. Turns out that this information was incorrect.

In WA we located a firm trading as 'Mobile Extra's in Osborne Park,
Telephone (08) 9242 4521 and the staff there have been absolutely brilliant on every occasion.

I attended there last Saturday regarding another matter and the young staff who really know their stuff, asked what type of mobile phones we were "both using" and the extent of use and ..........where???.

They then fixed the lead etc to the 7Db antenna fitted to the vehicle ( at no cost) and fitted a new patch lead for my old 'Telstra Tough Phone-Sony T-90" Next G mobile phone that we have been using with some measure of success to date.

For the Iphone...when informed of the iphone purchase, the agency owner went straight to the shelf and pulled out a complete cradle/charger kit package specifically designed, manufactured and packaged for i-phones.

The cradle/charger details are as follows;
Mobile iphone Cradle. (Apple iphone 4/4s) Model CMIC-106 .

The Unit fits into the vehicle either by screwing into the dash panel or by suction cap and fitting similar to a GPS. It has an inbuilt charger in the cradle and also has a factory fitted patch lead that will attach to a roo bar antenna. It can be hard wired or is ready to go with a cigarette lighter power souce already attached.

The complete kit comes with the following;
Cigarette Plug.
FME Male Connector.
Fuse Holder.
Window Mount Unit.
Suction Cap.
Rotating Swivel.
Surface Cleaner Pack.,
Screws
Manual.

For the old "Telstra Tough Phone -Sony -T-90 Next G mobile phone, I attached a 7db -1.8m antenna to the top of an Aluminium "Pool Cleaner" extendable handle' which can be raised up to about 5 metres. Easy to carry and put up. This has provided improved phone and computer signal access in areas where we could not previously recieve sufficient signals.

Will let you know the how it all works with the iphone cradle and patch lead to the 7db antenna on the roo bar when we are up at Ningaloo next week.

Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 584109

Follow Up By: Kilcoy Yowies - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 07:52

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 07:52
Thanks John and Wendy. Your post was very informative. I googled the following and there certainly appears to be a number of IPhone cradles that are able to have an aerial attached and I wonder if we could put it in our caravan and set it up with our 12volt outlet so that we could use our good aerial.

http://www.thfcomms.com.au/iPhone-cradle.html

David and Maureen

FollowupID: 854335

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 16:40

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 16:40
With the iPhone and cradle, the signal still only gets to the antenna by induction. It's not the same as a plug in cable and will never be as good.

FollowupID: 854336

Our Sponsors