personal travel insurance

Submitted: Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 19:07
ThreadID: 128778 Views:2894 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to take out a personal travel insurance policy for our upcoming travels in our van for approx 3 months.

We will be fishing in a remote area and want to be covered for every possibity. Would appreciate any thoughts.

regards,

David and Maureen.
You can take a Bushtracker anywhere

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Buck - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 21:56

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 21:56
David & Maureen;
Try Medibank Private Travel Insurance. We use them for O'sea insurance. We have pre-existing conditions and the cover is good as are the rates. We are not members but if you are there is a discount. I think it is 10%. You can take out an annual cover which covers trips up to 60-90 days. Best to get the info from them.
Scott.
AnswerID: 585987

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 23:09

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 23:09
David & Maureen,

As I know that you fit into the age group of being between 50 and 90 you can take out an annual policy with Australian Seniors, (nothing to do with Australian Pensioners Insurance) and for the 2 of you that is about $600.

This policy covers you outside Australia for any period up to 45 days at a time for anything including medical and also while in Australia for everything that overseas travel coverage does EXCEPT medical as you are already covered by Medicare and private health cover in Australia.

We have had coverage with them for 4 years now and when our grandson was diagnosed with the brain tumour and we had to return home from USA they paid out over $25,000 which covered everything that we couldn't cancel, and no questions asked.
Last year while in Austria we damaged a camera and glasses and again paid out up to the maximum for the glasses (about $800) and the full cost of the camera with us just supplying photographs of the damage and receipts for the items.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 585988

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 00:10

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 00:10
Try getting a Platinum Card from Nat Bank, it comes with free travel insurance for 6 months - all costs included. When we inquired we had an email reply that said you had to be 'selected' When Jean phoned to find out how you got selected or invited we were told just fill out this form. I think it costs $50 per year compared to $35 for the std card.

This has saved us a fortune on travel insurance for the upcoming trip to Africa for five months.

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 585989

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 03:16

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 03:16
John,
I think all the Banks have a travel insurance policy with their Gold, Diamond and Platinum credit cards so long as you pay for the trip using the credit card. They just have different fees and amounts of cover.

I think that you would have to check what they cover while still in Australia for example is medical covered? And if you are free camping and all that you are paying on the credit card for the trip is fuel, does that count as paying for your trip using the cards.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 855170

Our Sponsors