Travel route to Muster

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 19:49
ThreadID: 128831 Views:2950 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of going to the muster via Oodnadatta, Dalhousie,Finke,Alice Springs. Has anyone travelled this route towing a BT?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fugly - Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 20:48

Saturday, Jul 13, 2013 at 20:48
Hi Rob & Sue...

Jan & I intend to do the reverse on our return to Gawler in Oct/Nov and would like to hear the info as well... Mind you, we have heard of family and friends doing the journey around 25 years ago in much more conventional vans (with care) and had no hassle then. The BT should take it with flying colours.

What would be more interesting is some of the places to stop at on the way that are 'off the usual beaten track' that a BT "CAN" get to that other vans can not!!!

Any pointers in that direction???

Regards,

Craig & Jan

Alias... Fugly
AnswerID: 586112

Reply By: Leigh & Mita - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 01:02

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 01:02
Have a look at our Blog, namely Aug 2009 and Aug 2010. Although it is a few years old, it may provide you with some useful info regarding camping etc.

As for transiting the proposed route, you should have no problems provided you follow all the usual protocols ie lower your tyre pressure, take your time, ensure adequate fuel and water supplies, etc etc.

As for road conditions, when we travelled the road it varied from pretty damned good, to ordinary, to bloody horrible in places.

We did travel in part with another BT, and did meet several others enroute.

Enjoy you trip

Leigh
AnswerID: 586113

Reply By: SMICK - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 02:43

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 02:43
If you get a pink roadhouse pamphlet from a tourist bureau it will give you all the info you will need on the Oodna track. Very well put together by Adam Plate.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586114

Reply By: The Dodgeys - Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 04:40

Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 at 04:40
Hi

Did parts of this route in 2004 and again last year. 2004 Rainbow Valley, Hugh River Stock Maryvale (side trip to Chambers Pillar without van) down to Finke, across to Lambert Centre and out to Kulgra with a small supreme van. Apart from the tight track into Lambert Centre it is easy going, with a bit of care crossing the sand in the Finke River. Corrugations are the worst obstacle of the route
Last year we did the Madigan Line (less van), so traveled up to Mt Dare, road in is again ok in to Dalhousie (depending on rain)..Only unknown for me is Finke to Oodnadatta. We will be travelling home that way,weather permitting,following the muster our selves, the week following as we have to be back Adelaide by4 Oct.. Just so people are aware the weekend the muster finishes the Darwin to Adelaide Solar Car Challenge will be travelling down though that part of the Stuart Highway on its way south. Will make highway travel interesting

The Dodgeys
AnswerID: 586115

Follow Up By: The Dodgeys - Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 23:44

Monday, Jul 15, 2013 at 23:44
Amendment on Solar Car challenge dates 6-13 Oct, my source from Tafe SA team gave me the wrong dates so it will not impact on Stuart Highway till the folloing week

The Dodgeys
FollowupID: 855218

Reply By: Cruisin' Twosome - Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 07:18

Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 07:18
Gi Rob & Liz. The Batsons & us have done it with no problems a few years ago. I am sure all will be better now.

Cya in Alice.
Stella & Jack
Stella & Jack Voolstra

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 586116

Our Sponsors