Bloomfield track

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2013 at 07:22
ThreadID: 128867 Views:3269 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone driven from Cooktown via the Bloomfield track lately towing their B.T.
Stella & Jack Voolstra

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SMICK - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 02:40

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 02:40
Gday Stella & Jack
We did the south trip last year with John & Petria and Graham & Kathie. We had no trouble, the Nissan tackled the hills admirably. We found a sensational camp site south of Wajul Wajul on the eastern [right] side of the road, from memory there is a sign on the western [left] side saying something like " NO CAMPING NEXT XXks". The track is a bit narrow and windy but if you take it easy it is doable.
Michael
AROUND AUSTRALIA AT 80 KAYS.
Bushtrackerly Yours
Michael Mnew
SMICK

AnswerID: 586242

Follow Up By: Cargra - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:30

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 16:30
G'day Michael,

It's many many years since we did this track in our LC ute and from memory the river crossing over the weir was a bit scary as the "gibbers" tended to move quite a bit and it felt like you were going to bog down. I am wondering if the crossing is better now, have they bridged it or made a concrete weir?

thanks for any comments,

graham
FollowupID: 855308

Reply By: Cruisin' Twosome - Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 18:53

Monday, Aug 05, 2013 at 18:53
Hi all, we did the Bloomfield track. It was corrugated in places and some sealed sections on some of the reuses. There is one steep rise we did it in low range 4wd. The crossing was good. They have concerte blocks the tide was going out so boasted over it. This is very windy track it took us 3 hours to do 100 kms. You MUST ONLY DO IT IN THE DRY, no previous rain, check with locals at Cooktown before leaving. Our van is 18 ft. Toweb by a landcruiser 100 series. Turbo. It was a nice drive but pleased it is over & off the bucket list. Take it easy and you should be fine. If you ate going to be in Alice feel free to ask Jack about it. Safe travelling.
Stella & Jack
Stella & Jack Voolstra

AnswerID: 586243

Our Sponsors